Kirby Vacuum is a huge employment scam

158 of 175 Kirby Reviews

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week.I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the crappy half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely.I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

review #197608
344 178 Helpful?
Had the same issue116 Comments212
Had an experience with Kirby?  Submit review about this company
158 of 175 Kirby Reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 24 #1011378

I just got hired on in the Great Lakes division by a dealing office just north of Cincinnati. I was promised a base pay of $450 per week, or commission if commission is greater than $450. Either way I was guaranteed a minimum of $450 every week. The way I figure; yeah it seems a little fishy, but $450 every week is OK with me. I'll show of a vacuum a few times a week for that.

11 hours ago #1012449

Base pay is a lie. I worked for what was the most profitable office in the world (possibly another lie, but upper and middle management certainly bought some toys from raking in the vacuum dough from us underlings.
They "hire" so much and have such a high turnover that they will tell you anything to get you to set appointments, do demos, and sell for them.
I 100% guarantee you they had you sign an independent dealer/canvasser agreement. This means they don't owe you ***. Not minimum wage for hours worked (and yes, if you have a slow week and sell nothing or set very few demos, they will pay you far less than minimum for your work.)
Here's how Kirby pay works (and this is one of the better systems)
It's all based around two things: a tiny base pay and commission from sales.
1. Commission. Only A-loan credit sales above a "bonusable" limit as set by your office will yield significant commission for you. This means selling a 3 grand finance deal from a customer with poor or mediocre credit earns you basically nothing. So let's talk about A-loans. These are nice, respectable folk with dual income households or well-off professionals. (Rich folks will see through your scam and gouge you down in price until it is not bonusable) This is why they target nice family neighborhoods, and also why you run the risk of being put in jail for solicitation simply by "working" for a Kirby office in the field. Back to money- basically, if you sell a nice A-loan deal (cash check
... Show more

1 0 Reply
cb

Jun 27 #1000315 Conroe, Texas

Question!!! I recently got hired as an appointment setter for a Kirby distribution company. The person that hired me PROMISED ,& GUARANTEED me $5,000 per month... She said it didn't matter how many appointments I set up ,or how many of those appointments resulted in a sale, I would be GUARANTEED that base pay... I had no opinion on this company either way, I just would like to know what I'm getting myself into, since I have seen mostly horrible reviews researching this job/company.

0 3 Reply

Jul 05 #1003866

5k a month just to knock on doors and try to get the Kirby salesperson inside and it doesn't matter how many appts you get? You honestly think that is true? Tell you what, ask for that in writing. Just don't be surprised when you don't hear from anyone else again.

2 0 Reply

Jun 07 #992254 Jacksonville, Florida

I have been with Kirby for about a month, This company itself is a great company, with a great product!!! That being said beware of what dist, you work for I happen to be at a crappie one that thinks bullies should be rewarded!! I have made sales and have work 84 hours a week! Was told Monday thru Saturday, but that was a lie because it is Sunday and I was told we were going to make sales call this evening! That is the only reason I am quitting this job, not because of Kirby but because the dealer is A LAIR!! I would love to still to work here and I have made good money, because I know how to close sales and do not mind hard work! But I can not work for a Lair, he has also cussed me in front of customers which is very rude and not business like. I have closed 55 sales in a month have never missed a day until now!! My advise is to check out your dealer not Kirby,inc! Not all dealer are the same!I am sorry I have to leave but bad business practices id bad business in this market!!

3 0 Reply

Jun 07 #992288 Raleigh, North Carolina

I think the word you were going for is "Liar" (not Lair). If you are working 84 hours a week, that is the same as working TWO full-time jobs, yet, if you are honest, you will have to admit you don't even make as much as a high school student working one part-time job. Here is food for thought: you are an independent contractor (1099) yet Kirby is telling you your hours and days you have to work. Did you know that violates most state laws for independent contractors? Did you also know people have reported Kirby dealers to labor boards and forced them to pay them an hourly wage for all back hours worked!

5 0 Reply

May 24 #988064

Um... Why is there so much poor grammar and spelling? Just some quick info. It is a contract job. Not an hourly or salary position. Kirby's are sold primarily through individual distributors. In other words, John by 5 Kirby systems from Kirby at retail price and then sells them for a profit. For the salespeople, the price of the sale determines how much they get paid. If the sale is so low that the distributor makes no money on it, the salesperson isn't going to make money on it. That's the nature of the business. Also, the salesperson doesn't get credit for the sale unless it's done in the home. If you go to the store to buy one directly, the salesperson doesn't get the credit and doesn't get paid. The difference between a high pressure sale's pitch and the low pressure sales pitch is that the low pressure sales pitch can be turned off with your t.v. remote. Billy Mays isn't in your home hawking Oxyclean at you. A Kirby salesperson is.

1 1 Reply
EscoBars

May 15 #984896 Colorado Springs, Colorado

Ok so ive been reading all these negative comments about kirby. Im 24 years old ive been with kirby for a year so far. I just did my taxes as a 1099 employee and that was fun. But my overall net pay for the year was 38,000 i had to pay a bit for taxes. I managed to save up just under 5000 and bought my first vehicle and my own apartment. Everyone i see here worked with the company for a few weeks and judged the company cause they didnt have what it takes. Sure people go without getting paid and boast about all this money they made befor. Kirby is a today business and you need to have a positive attitude and high work ethic to succeed. Its about what you can do as a individual in a team. I have watched people come and go and feel lied to cause they didnt make it. Ive heard of distributors screwing over there people. The one thing i know is at the end of the week i get my check and cash it. My distributor trained me and groomed me into the sales man i am today. Ive went to three all expense paid vacations, Vegas was the best. But thru and thru the people who suck spred negative feedback. We dont lie to people at the door. I tell them simply we are going to show them a product. They dont have to buy it we simply want to show them cause we have a quota to fulfill. When someone whats the kirby we make it affordable. If they can afford 3295 then thats the price they get. If it needs to fit in there budget we will fit it in. We help elavate peoples heath in there home and we work... Show more

2 6 Reply

Jun 25 #999346

Man I'm so glad to see this I was sitting here debating on rather or Not I should go to my second day of training and after reading these comments I was feeling discouraged but then I read this one and thought you know what how can I just allow my self to fail I gotta give this a shot!

Jul 10 #1005722

Lol, you still working there anonymous? ;)

Jul 11 #1006301

I used to work for Kirby for 2 years, I hated it!! My husband has been working for Kirby for 9 years. Kirby is destroying our marriage!!! We have been homeless so many times because of Kirby, because of commission only bullcrap. If you don't make sales when your rent is due then your screwd! He can go 2-3 weeks with no money but maybe $50-$75 a in one week sometimes because those dumb butt morons are all low balling every sale!! He used to make between $400-$1600 a week but that was along time ago under different distributer. And not only that but I never see my husband at all ever!!

0 1 Reply
HeartbrokenLifeDestroyed

Jul 11 #1006315

This is the rest of above review that somehow came up missing here is the rest of my story!!... He doesn't have time to talk to me in the morning before work, he ignores me all day when I try to call or text because he is knocking doors or talking to customers, which btw Kirby DOES LIE to customers, they do what is called the TURN and BURN on them! I quit Kirby because I couldn't handle all the ppl slamming doors in my face, cussing me out and having to lie just to get in the door and all the long hours working my *** off for nothing, remember how you can work 120 hours literally for nothing and get no money because no sales!! Now back to my husband, after he wakes up in morning with no time to communicate, then no response from him all day, he comes home at midnight or later and doesn't want to talk just go straight to bed, then gets back up 5 or 6 hours later and do it all over again!! I feel like a roommate, like a stranger to him or an invisible ghost!! Right now BECAUSE OF KIRBY we CAN'T EVEN LIVE TOGETHER because we CAN'T AFFORD a PLACE TO LIVE. He is at his friends while I'm at my parents. I have only SEEN him 2 TIMES in the last 6 weeks. I cry myself to sleep everyday. I wake up and cry because I don't get to see his face. This company has taken my life away from me!!! Me and my husband have been together for 13 years, and now it's about to be over between us BECAUSE KIRBY is BRAINWASHING him to believing that he has to make SACRIFICES if he wants to get anywhere in... Show more

vacuummyballs

2 days ago #1011803 Smyrna, Tennessee

Your ***..go get a real job...

Jul 11 #1006316

There is more to my story just got cut off so please everyone read the rest of my story!! User name HeartbrokenLifeDestroyed!!

zee

Mar 23 #962179 Phoenix, Arizona

Kirby changed my life. First pay check was 2374.00 If you can handle the hours, the WEEKLY couple of grand is there.

2 6 Reply

Apr 28 #977648

your're a liar. let me guess you got a huge oversized check like another employee who has yet to recieved the real one. you are one of the crooks. thats all that ever said about kirby ppl i made this check showing new employees fake check stubs. they are liars and scammers. my boyfriend worked 72 hrs a week for 4 weeks and sold 15 kirby vacuums and only recieved 700$ total being the first check was 201, 300, then 201. he also had way over 60 demos which they said he did not have and that all 15 ppl who bought a kirby canceled. they will threaten to fire youi if you sell one and give the buyer your personal number.. after he was realizing what was going on he contacted a person he sold one to who kirby said canceled and that was a lie. they personal showed us there bank statement showing that they paid and then invited over to show they still had the machine. do not work for this company they are crooks.

5 2 Reply
Roots

Mar 17 #959505 West Sacramento, California

I just went on a interview for this place today and boy am I glad I stumbled upon this post. This (for lack of a better word) witch, was gonna let me quit my stable job to "move up with the company" ?! I'm just shocked at that, she could have really ruined everything for me. You see, I've been unhappy at my job so I've been looking for something else , pretty much anything. .. but NOT THIS! I told her I need a CAREER, something where I don't have to worry about being scared of losing my job and she sat there and smiled and agreed! I told her I just bought a car that I have to pay on and she smiled like this would be the perfect fit for me! Heartless soul-less snakes!

7 1 Reply
Curbyrave

Mar 08 #955562

Most of what this person is saying about her experience might be true but my brother was hired at a curby vacuum store and is making around 4,000 a month. It is a confusing job when every vacuum you sell you make 50 dollars and it is not strait up 2,000 for a vacuum they let you pay over time. Wile you have the vacuum if it breaks you can get a brand new one free.

2 4 Reply

1-20 of 212 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.