Kirby Vacuum is a huge employment scam

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week.I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the crappy half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely.I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 192 Yes 192 345 No 345
Had the same issue 126 Yes 126
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

8 minutes ago #1203773 Portland, Oregon

Like any other job. You put the time in, you reap the benefits. I have been surrounded by the Top Distributors within Kirby my whole life. They make millions a year.
Touche

Aug 16 #1199972 Amelia Court House, Virginia

I currently just started working for the Kirby Company but I can tell you, if you put in the work that you are held responsible to do, you will make money. Basically you get back what you put in. It's also a pretty fun job and you get to make friends when you clean their houses for them. The Kirby machine is expensive but if you think about everything that comes with it, it's a good investment. It spins at 3200 RPMs, is made of steel and aluminum, used for shampooing, mopping, electric brooming, dusting, sprayer, etc. Think about how many times you have to replace your vacuums or other household objects. Now wouldn't it be cheaper to invest in a machine that has a lifetime warranty & does all of those things? I didn't even like cleaning until I cleaned with a kirby for the first time.

0 3 Reply

Aug 19 #1201044

Come back in a couple weeks and tell us again about how fun your job is and how many friends you have made by lying to people to get in their homes.

1 0 Reply

Aug 01 #1193311 Shreveport, Louisiana

We fill out W-9's, pay our taxes, and still have money to blow lol

0 4 Reply

Aug 19 #1201045

Yep, that $5 you have left over will pay for a few burgers from the McDonald's dollar menu. Eat up boy!

2 0 Reply
kd

Aug 01 #1193306

I really hate reading stores like this because it makes me kind of sad. I felt the SAME exact way when I started. I did my training...not like I was doing anything that week anyways...and still felt a little nervous. But after my first day out I was completely overwhelmed with joy. I am 21 years old and I average 4500-6500 a month. I never dreamed of making money like this. It was incredible. The reason the pay is set up this way is because if you show up everyday and do three appointments a day...then you are bound to sell. They base pay isn't a salary but a fall back just incase you have no sells but worked everyday. I think everyone that works for the Kirby company felt weary at first....because you're right...no one else will pay you the way you get paid with Kirby especially if you are young. And the most positive thing is that they promote from within. By the time I am 23 I will have my own office. The kirby company has changed my life for the better so I just wanted to pass some positive news. THE KIRBY COMPANY IS NOT A SCAM. It's designed to help the community by supplying more jobs (reasons they hire so many people) and we pay taxes to the community and we donate all trade ins to the community who can't afford a vacuum. We are happy and we are making money. It makes me sad to see people who didn't even give it a shot talk so negatively. Nothing against you personally..it's not for everyone. But we are trying to run a business. -I don't work at this office but for a... Show more

0 2 Reply

Jan 18 #1096462

I love all these people saying they make bank, funny how you all filled out a w-9 form because working under kirby ur an independent contractor meaning at the end of the year when im getting 5000+ back for my tax return you all will be owing 5000+.

6 0 Reply

Dec 11, 2015 #1077003

That's funny....because I work for kirby and I'm making money just fine....

1 10 Reply

Jan 08 #1091403 Felton, Delaware

are you really?

Dec 02, 2015 #1072660

My husband has worked for kirby for the past 5 months. He works in greensboro, Nc. I've never liked his hours hes been working. Dont get me wrong when he makes good sales he makes good money. Now the catch is hos manager Braddox has been either taking money out of his check saying he owes him or keeping his check untill my husband goes and gets all his pick ups, which are kirbys people have not paid on. We have bill's to pay and our newborn child. When has worked so hard over 70 hours a week he deserves to be paid. My husband is now talking with a lawyer because of this bs. Braddox did not hold any one else's check regarding pick ups. When my husband only had 9, other people have over 15. Also my husband is the only white guy. So this has to stop. And for any one thinking about working for kirby DON'T. It is a bull *** company and a waste of time.

5 0 Reply

Dec 01, 2015 #1071962

Ok genius go buy some ground beef cut out McDonald's in sell ur own cheeseburgers. Ground up chicken make your own chicken nuggets. Raid garbage cans pick up trash and sell it for a profit. Become a vegetarian to conserve energy because it takes three times more energy to create and vegetables and it does meat. Your mind has no logic just a scam live in your crowded reality in and see where that gets you by the age of 50 hoping that your parents died so he can inherit some money pathetic *** of the earth praying on someone's death or someone's misfortune to prey on

0 5 Reply
smart guy

Dec 01, 2015 #1071961

Wow kid ur prob still living at ur moms trying to hustle actin like all ur parents stuff is urs cuz ur friends are dum and velieve it but u look cool but really hate ur self because you know your life is bs

2 1 Reply
smart guy

Dec 01, 2015 #1071960

Owners arnt the douche bags, its the young generation over half of them drink n smoke too much for their own good so they cant thonk right bs their parents bs schools fake passing grades try and fake life. Then they try and bs scam someone that knows that game because owning any business whats the typical teenager do? Screw the man life un fair lets try n short cut scam our way through it. But dont know thers people out there smarter than them and see it and dont put up with it. Sucess comes before work only in dictionary. Some people need to stop listening to musical farytales and fictional movies and get into reality and work their butt off period! Stop scamming employers, and calling everything a scam but lookin in mirrow because they know they got told up front what job was quotas they had to hit and whats expected n first day they act all confused like they didnt get told nothing! All because their looser friend cant tie their own shoelace but lets listen to him cuz he broke as *** slow but he cool bro? Get real.

1 2 Reply

Jan 08 #1091413 Felton, Delaware

Well, smart guy I'm glad you were able to figure out that success is before work in the dictionary. But you should really read before you submit. I'm just saying. Yes we are told on the first day, but the fact is that a lie is what got us to the first day. Okay so we decide to stick it out like three days unpaid training isn't bad enough. When you actually get out there after being told that if they say no to get out but when the manager comes in and insists that the person buys by intimidation and rudeness. Oh lets not forget the endless hours of having doors shut in your face and to top it off you can't even stop to eat after working for ten plus hours. Yes Kirby is a great machine but they need better tactics.

0 1 Reply
anom

Dec 01, 2015 #1071959

Lmfao dont lie. Duh u cant b a bartender at 18 make up something else

Nov 27, 2015 #1070452

My husband works for Kirby was making between $1100-$3800 a week as a dealer he just got promoted to DT (distributer trainee) and we got our own office he made me the co-owner and now he is making bank.. Example he made $1700 in one day now that he is his own boss, there will be days he will make twice that in one day. Now add that up everyday and he will make over $100k+ a year. Then when he becomes Factory it will be triple that. I know 2ppl that work for Kirby that are now millionaires!... Work for Kirby it's the best way to make alot of money and to live a fulfilling life!! If you just started and it's been over a week and you hadn't made a sale, don't give up!! My husband didn't make a sale for the first 3 weeks that he started. Once he made his first sale he was selling left and right. After your first sale you will be more motivated and have built confidence and you will start making more money than you can imagine. Kirby works if you work it!!!

5 9 Reply

Nov 28, 2015 #1070645

Cut out the doucheb@g owners, like the one above, by going into business for yourself. Buy your own Kirbys wholesale or via ebay, and sell them door to door. All profits will go in your pocket and you can cut out the sh*tstain owners who make money off your blood, sweat and tears.

4 3 Reply

Nov 28, 2015 #1070917

If you buy them off eBay or anywhere else in the world that is not from a door to door salesman that gets them from factory distributers only then you will not get a lifetime warranty or any benefits whatsoever. I am a distributor and I make 100% profit. I would never sale anything to my customers that didn't come straight from the factory because that would be screwing them over because they wouldn't have the wonderful benefits... Everyone do not buy a Kirby from a door to door salesman that does not have contracts or credentials you will not get benefits and if 20 yrs from now you needed it rebuilt you can't you would have to spend thousands of dollars to get a new one instead of a lousy $165 that comes with the benefits!! Or if you wanted an upgrade on a Kirby do that the new one is super awesome and does way more than the older Kirby's. Still any older model Kirby kicks the butt out of any new Oreck, rainbow etc. Anything but a Kirby is a waste of money!

2 4 Reply

1-20 of 269 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.