Kirby Vacuum is a huge employment scam
I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week.I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.
I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.
I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.
The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.
I was surprised by the crappy half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.
The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.
So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.
I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.
I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.
Possible, but unlikely.I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.
More Review Details
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
- Review rating
- 5 out of 5
You May Also Like
- "In October 2009 we decided to purchase a Maytag Bravos 850 series washer and dryer combo for approx. $1800. We figured investing in a "premium" set of appliances from..."
- "This whirlpool refrigerator i purchased, color: wine orchid, model: 14062 IC255 TCG4 NEO, serial NO: INA 132005954 on date: 09/08.2013.The refrigerator explode on 13/07/2014 and fire on house. Fired Almost..."
- "Worst straightner ever comparable to the cheapest Walmart brand. If I didn't work I would stop and let any potential victim know what a ripe off these were. U said..."
- " 2 hours and counting and still on the phone with customer service and live chat online at same time, now with Kumar. First was Denzel, then Harish. Kumar is..."
- "I have been using a 4.6 LB container of Cascade Complete Citrus Breeze Scent in my dishwasher. The dishwasher detergent cleans dishes, glasses & most of my utensils. However when..."
- "Still a continued misbehavior! Mr wells is an alcoholic and commits adultery. His wife and the Corporate Management of Dicks Sporting Goods seem to be OK with this unethical,immoral and..."
- "Thermodyne System's / hornetwind / windgeneering / polaraco Thermodyne hornetwind Wind Turbine 40 MPH 65 kph 200 watts they claim 1600+ watts from a turbine. I own the 900 watt model..."
- "It was a surprised for me to find the bad service Quality of FedEx KSA, my international priority pkg delayed for 3 days because as per FedEx they got wrong..."
- "I purchased a set of furniture from Nebraska Furniture Mart and I also purchased the Guardsman 5 year warranty. All three pieces that I bought started to rip and tear..."