Kirby Vacuum is a huge employment scam
I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week.I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.
I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.
I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.
The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.
I was surprised by the crappy half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.
The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.
So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.
I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.
I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.
Possible, but unlikely.I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.
More Review Details
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
- Review rating
- 5 out of 5
You May Also Like
- "Below is a letter and response from Sears / Kenmore in regards to one of their products. Kenmore Refrigerator Elite.Bottom line, never buy Kenmore - they are poorly made products.To..."
- "I went to quail springs mall with my mom to get her eyes checked and get some new glasses. We'll on the way to go look at frames I was..."
- "Worst straightner ever comparable to the cheapest Walmart brand. If I didn't work I would stop and let any potential victim know what a ripe off these were. U said..."
- "This company has the worst return policy and the rudest customer service. They have the wrong part listed for a 1995 Jeep, send a part for a 2007 which..."
- "I purchased much. Latitude touring 102T 225 65R 17,a set of 4 from Mavis co. The date was 4/27/2012.When my NYS inspection was done today 6/10/2015 there was 25,681 miles..."
- "I ordered 4 pairs of shoes on October 17, 2014. The shoes arrived on November 7, 2014. They were exactly as I expected when buying from a chinese company -..."
- "Ganer Mountain newnan horrible cust service. Was looking for a new pistol and had 1k cash to spend and came in at 9:45 only to be informed on what..."
- "GARBAGE! We ordered a coat a size larger than what my daughter normally wears. When it came in a 12 inch envelope I knew it was bad before I opened..."
- "FALSE ADVERTISING as you can't go from red to blonde. I was a dark red brown and even my stylist couldn't get me to blonde after 4 hours. That was..."