Kirby Vacuum is a huge employment scam

125 of 142 Kirby Reviews
Issue not resolved

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week.I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the crappy half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely.I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

107fe70d review #197608
339 162 Helpful?
Had the same issue81 Comments185 Report
Had an experience with Kirby?  Submit review about this company
125 of 142 Kirby Reviews
beano

Jan 09 Gadsden, Alabama

Been working for Kirby two weeks, this fast paced sales talk they are teaching us is horrible. Today was my last day. The long hours and fear of not making any money is too much. Plus I just feel bad for barging into peoples homes trying to fast talk someone into buying. I feel sorry for the current employees trying to get by..the hiring manager talked about making so much money, happens to be driving the most broke down looking Honda I have ever seen., with colorful zebra stripes hand painted all over it. at first I thought some Mexican Drove it. (Sorry) the kind of money they promised that is possible to make was the same amount of money I was making at my previous job,which is the most Dangerous job in America.the only reason I quit is because of the new addition to the family and wanting to be home more. they prey on people at the interview who are desperate and are very gullible it all happened so very fast I heard an advertisement on the radio and when I called I immediately had an interview within a few hours and started the training the next day. hindsight 2020 I assume all of this happens so fast becausethere will be less of a chance of you finding out all of what is said about them online. they told us that we would be going to nice residential neighborhoods and not broke down trailers with a broke down car out front but that's exactly what we did. hunting down simple minded nice southern folks that were very gullible it is so sad and I feel ashamed that I worked... Show more

WeArePositivejustin13

Jan 13 Memphis, Tennessee

Glad you left those Kirby guys, they wasted my time and yours. I worked double as much time there as you and still made nothing. Even if you do sell, the company makes the money while you make little to nothing. That to me, is a classic example of a scam. No one deserves to work 60-72 hours a week for no pay and no family time.

WeArePositivejustin13

Dec 25, 2014 Memphis, Tennessee

JD & Associates
407 Orchard Park, Building 2
Ridgeland, MS 39157
I used to work for this Kirby distributor, and this "JD & Associates" company is a big SCAM. I was promised a $400 a week salary if I did 15 demos a week. I found out that 15 demos a week is very difficult to attain and has been done only ONCE by a dealer. I also never received a "sign on" bonus that was promised during the 3-day orientation, and I find it funny that they don't drug test new applicants and it took them only a few hours to accept my application for employment (a regular job may take days or weeks).
I sold 4 Kirbys while working for them, and still received no money for any of them. During the orientation I was told that if I sold a Kirby, I received commission immediately, which was a lie. I went to the distributor's office and he said it takes 2 weeks to receive commission. 2 weeks came....still no money.
I felt very guilty using these sale tactics to sell these overpriced machines, and I decided to leave a few days ago because I do not wish to make a living ripping people off. When a Kirby rep comes into your home, here's what happens: They offer a free detergent in exchange for you to allow them to show a demo, lie to you about them opening up a cleaning store in your area, pull 100 pads of dirt with the kirby, do a "vac kill," as they call it, to show why your vaccum is inferior to the kirby, invade your bedroom by testing that machine on your mattress, and shampoo
... Show more

7 0 Reply

Dec 25, 2014

Excellent posting!

2 0 Reply
Kirsty

Dec 17, 2014 Birmingham, Alabama

Ive seen so many people debate over Kirby. I love working for Kirby I'll stick with this company until I retire(wich will hopefully be by the time I'm 35, I'm 23 now) Im a DT and well on my way towards opening a new office here very shortly. For anyone who bashes Kirby its in our nature to defend it. This company puts food in our stomachs rooves over our heads and nice things in our homes and to top it all off we get to go on all expense paid vacations on the company's dime!! Its not for everyone and we know how hard we had to work to get to where we are. Of course we get upset when someone calls our livelihood a 'scam' when its not at all. You make what you work for, if your work ethic is *** poor so will be your paycheck. If you're looking for a Whoppertunity I'm sure there's a BurgerKing down the street.

3 6 Reply

Dec 25, 2014

Thanks for the career information as you can definitely make more at Burger King! But really, you should consider that just because fastfood or door to door sales are your only possibilities, others have gotten an education and have viable job skills and REAL choices :-)

4 2 Reply

Feb 16 Portland, Oregon

Lying to people is not ethical
And thats all ive read about your tactics. Ive been selling for 10 years and HONEST
ABOUT IT. All ive read reviews wise is your shady tactics and waiting to hear back from te gf who now works there on her first road trip
To see if this is true. If so, shes done.

1 0 Reply
Jay

Feb 24

So high pressure sales is acceptable to you? Violating labor laws is acceptable to you? SHAME on your parents for not teaching you ethics. Kirby is a big scam, that has been sued by multiple states for labor violations and illegal sales tactics

0 0 Reply
Driving home with 26

Oct 06, 2014

Oprah talks abouy hs kirby gave her her work ethic and constantly brings up the dust mites etc, in her shows. Though I migjt fail in Kirby. Kirby might fail you. The lroof it works for sone is obvioys. Iwork for a great distributor who breaks the comission down to me. You cant buy in to being a distributor.
2 day unpaid training at my office in TX
400$ a week guaranteed pay.
This job isnt the job I wanted. Its the one I needed. (As my physics degree's uselessness burns.)

1 9 Reply

Oct 07, 2014

You have no degree. Please double-check your spelling and ask yourself how anyone is suppose to believe you even finished 5th grade!

17 1 Reply

Sep 26, 2014

The bottom line folks, if Kirby was such a great money-making job, they wouldn't have a huge turnover, they wouldn't have to post daily misleading ads and lie to employees and customers. They truly are n@asty.

12 2 Reply
Kyle

Sep 13, 2014

You have good and bad days. If you can't cut it you can't; door to door isn't for everyone. However I make at least $1000/ week. Don't listen to those who made $150 and quit. The broke and unsuccessful are the ones who have negative things to say. Their poor experience could have been directly related to a poor Distributor.

6 5 Reply

Sep 26, 2014

If someone has a bad distributor who cheated them, it is not their fault they are broke and unsuccessful. I can be the best employee in the world, but if my boss cheats me and won't pay me, that is a statement about him! It is only a statement about me if I stay and continue to work for free.

6 0 Reply
Dickysherm123

Aug 24, 2014 California, United States

Salesman are like fisherman. Constantly lying about how big the fish was/how much they make. Just because you made 2000 in one week once doesn't mean you make 2000 a week. They always fail to mention all the $0-$150 dollar weeks which is 95% of the time. Don't let your pride get in the way of supporting yourself

9 0 Reply

Feb 16 Portland, Oregon

Also they tend to forget about the IRS 25% of that needs to
Go to the government as I
Had to explain to my gf who im trying to get her out of this kirby scam.

2 0 Reply
katrina

Aug 23, 2014 Panama City Beach, Florida

i work for kirby.its a hard job yes an u have to find a legit office but its worth it atleast to me iv bean with them 3 years an hsve made a decent living it is a real job just a hard one

4 4 Reply
Jess

Aug 08, 2014 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I had a very very similar experience... And I'm in Philadelphia pa and the building was brand new barely furnished but easy to find, I never felt in danger. I don't think u can call it a scam. Getting people to let u in their house so u can spontaneously sell them a 2,000 vacuum isn't easy. And u have to put a lot of initial free hours, but in the long run it would have paid off... They sort out who is staying and going off the gate and people like you who give up after a week are exactly the people they don't want to pay. I didn't last more than 2 weeks on empty paying promises. I was so mad and totally felt jipped. Your just pissed off, sorry u wasted your time and good luck on the hunt!!

Aug 24, 2014

Kirby is a scam.

8 6 Reply
CT

Jul 27, 2014

Well I diss agree I work for Kirby and I've been working for the past two years and I yes I do make over 5000 a month Kirby has been the best thing that's ever happen to me and I hope many others get to experince

10 10 Reply
KirbySlut

Aug 24, 2014

Well, I make over 50,000 thousand a month. Kirby has been the best thing ever for me. Before Kirby, I use to write run-on sentences with no punctuation (kinda like you CT) and I have used my big earnings from wh@ring out vacuums to take English 101 classes!

14 3 Reply

1-20 of 185 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.