Kirby Vacuum is a huge employment scam

107 of 124 Kirby Reviews
Issue not resolved
Sep 08, 2010
review #197608

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week.I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the crappy half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely.I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

bec9ca5
Had an experience with Kirby?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
107 of 124 Kirby Reviews
Driving home with 26

Oct 06

Oprah talks abouy hs kirby gave her her work ethic and constantly brings up the dust mites etc, in her shows. Though I migjt fail in Kirby. Kirby might fail you. The lroof it works for sone is obvioys. Iwork for a great distributor who breaks the comission down to me. You cant buy in to being a distributor.
2 day unpaid training at my office in TX
400$ a week guaranteed pay.
This job isnt the job I wanted. Its the one I needed. (As my physics degree's uselessness burns.)

0 3 Reply

Oct 07

You have no degree. Please double-check your spelling and ask yourself how anyone is suppose to believe you even finished 5th grade!

5 0 Reply

Sep 26

The bottom line folks, if Kirby was such a great money-making job, they wouldn't have a huge turnover, they wouldn't have to post daily misleading ads and lie to employees and customers. They truly are n@asty.

4 1 Reply
Kyle

Sep 13

You have good and bad days. If you can't cut it you can't; door to door isn't for everyone. However I make at least $1000/ week. Don't listen to those who made $150 and quit. The broke and unsuccessful are the ones who have negative things to say. Their poor experience could have been directly related to a poor Distributor.

3 2 Reply

Sep 26

If someone has a bad distributor who cheated them, it is not their fault they are broke and unsuccessful. I can be the best employee in the world, but if my boss cheats me and won't pay me, that is a statement about him! It is only a statement about me if I stay and continue to work for free.

3 0 Reply
Dickysherm123

Aug 24 California, United States

Salesman are like fisherman. Constantly lying about how big the fish was/how much they make. Just because you made 2000 in one week once doesn't mean you make 2000 a week. They always fail to mention all the $0-$150 dollar weeks which is 95% of the time. Don't let your pride get in the way of supporting yourself

5 0 Reply
katrina

Aug 23 Panama City Beach, Florida

i work for kirby.its a hard job yes an u have to find a legit office but its worth it atleast to me iv bean with them 3 years an hsve made a decent living it is a real job just a hard one

2 2 Reply
Jess

Aug 08 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I had a very very similar experience... And I'm in Philadelphia pa and the building was brand new barely furnished but easy to find, I never felt in danger. I don't think u can call it a scam. Getting people to let u in their house so u can spontaneously sell them a 2,000 vacuum isn't easy. And u have to put a lot of initial free hours, but in the long run it would have paid off... They sort out who is staying and going off the gate and people like you who give up after a week are exactly the people they don't want to pay. I didn't last more than 2 weeks on empty paying promises. I was so mad and totally felt jipped. Your just pissed off, sorry u wasted your time and good luck on the hunt!!

2 0 Reply

Aug 24

Kirby is a scam.

4 4 Reply
CT

Jul 27

Well I diss agree I work for Kirby and I've been working for the past two years and I yes I do make over 5000 a month Kirby has been the best thing that's ever happen to me and I hope many others get to experince

9 6 Reply
KirbySlut

Aug 24

Well, I make over 50,000 thousand a month. Kirby has been the best thing ever for me. Before Kirby, I use to write run-on sentences with no punctuation (kinda like you CT) and I have used my big earnings from wh@ring out vacuums to take English 101 classes!

7 2 Reply
HAPPY

Jul 25

I have worked for Kirby on and off in different places I always got paid. We always where given proper paperwork stating how the pay worked, do 15 demos get 500.00 Dollars you dont do it you only get commission. Simply simple. Long hours true indeed but I was told that also before hand.

3 1 Reply
Coral

Jul 16 Bremerton, Washington

Exactly the same experience here, except the manager was a single mom with an e-cig and a tattoo. $35k a year sounded great compared to only $14k working as full time minimum wage, but then I realized working 12 hours a day 6 days a week... that's 72 hours a week, and the pay isn't even guaranteed. Nice try, Kirby.

4 1 Reply
Craig h

Jul 12

You sad *** ! I'm 27 and just bought my first Ferrari through I don't even have qualifications ! Left school with nothing got told I'd never have anything ? This is crazy how people can even talk like this or be miss led by other people who are not even in the business. I feel sorry for anyone that talks bad about a 100 year old company that's made me very successful and says get a real job this is real my life is living a dream now everyday. It's unfortunate people try and spoil it for anyone your too busy thinking it's scam, the difference between me i just didn't listen I made my own mind up and decided to give it chance, I'm glad i did. Best advice i could give anyone is give it chance not just Kirby in general you need more trust in your selfs to be able to try something like Kirby and decide then if it's not for you ! And I don't just mean a day or two or a week or 2 a mean 3 solid months it doesn't happen over night and won't ever it's takes development ! Rome wasn't built in a day guys. I think you nay Sayers need to get a check up from the neck up and have a develope abit more perservierance in life and stickabability and stop worry about this and that and the what if's ? Because you won't get anywhere in life with that type of attitude not just in employment. Take care have a super positive day ! And I wish you all the best of success

6 7 Reply

Jul 18

So Matchbox makes a toy Ferrari now? Awesome! LMAO! You sad, pathetic little twerp, do you really think anyone believes you? Kirby slaves can't even afford the dollar menu at McDonalds. Put down the Kirby koolaid and get a REAL job (that is, if you have the skills and education to do anything else besides slop vacuum cleaners door to door). Thanks for the morning chuckle!

6 1 Reply
nightmare

Jun 20 Conroe, Texas

I worked for Kirby and was great at it and in one week I sold two of the vaccums but never got paid for it these people are predators and all the while im making the drive to this warehouse I had no gas money told them I would have to get paid something or quit and they informed me when I was supposed to pick up my check that my sales had been conveniently "returned" these people are dishonest and they prey on young people who are desperate for work and the greed they demonstrate is uncanny

4 0 Reply

Jul 18

I have heard that consistently: people not getting paid for sales, being told that the customers returned the vacuums and then when the employee calls the customer, they find out that they did NOT return the product. What a ripoff.

4 0 Reply
salesgirl1

Jun 06 Topeka, Kansas

I worked for Kirby for over five years and made great money. It's not for everyone but if you are looking for a great sales job with the potential to make big bucks, then you should try it. Just like every job out their, it's not for everyone but don't call it a scam because you are too lazy to get up and work. Now days people want a great pay check but don't want to work for it. If that's the case, go work at McDonald's because they are okay with you working for minimum wage for minimum work.

0 4 Reply

Jul 18

If McDonalds is OK paying someone minimum wage, well sweetheart, then people are better off at McDonalds because Kirby can't even do that much!!!!
If not falling for a scam like Kirby makes someone lazy, I am proud to be counted as lazy. Call me Queen Lazy then, because I have more respect for myself than to go troll neighborhoods and try to barter my way into a stranger's home to sell them a freakin' appliance.
Interesting that salesgirlie1 used McDonalds in her analogy. I am going to guess that Kirby door to door troll sales or slinging hash at McDonalds are her only career choices. Take my advice salesgirlie, you are better off at McDonalds (that is, if they will hire you). You will have an hourly wage, benefits, a set schedule, a guaranteed paycheck and you aren't out in the elements. You also aren't trolling people. At McDonalds, customers are happy to see you step up to the counter. With Kirby, these homeowners are not happy to see you stepping up to their doorsteps.
My advice: finish your high school education. In other words, get your G.E.D and try to go to a community college or some type of trade school and get an education so you won't have to make the sad choice between Kirby or McDonalds anymore. Bottom line: you have to want more for yourself!

5 1 Reply

1-20 of 170 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.