Kirby Vacuum is a huge employment scam

174 of 191 Kirby Reviews

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week.I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the crappy half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely.I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

More Review Details

Had the same issue 121 Yes 121
174 of 191 Kirby Reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Sep 26 #1039582

This same thing happened to me. I haven't attend orientation yet. Looking at this changed my mind. Thank you.

1 0 Reply

Sep 15 #1034271

I actually work for kirby and get paid every Saturday over 500 dollars and I'm currently still at work I love it great money. Work for kirby!!

0 3 Reply

Sep 16 #1034393 Boston, Massachusetts

I don't doubt if you work for Kirby, you are still at work! It is hysterical you think making $500 a week after working 60+ hours is good money. LMAO! Even if you worked 40 hours a week, $500 is nothing. Don''t spend all your money in one place, sunshine, because come tax time, you owe Uncle Sam a big chunk. That's right! While your friends are getting nice refunds, you will be the dumb *** who has to pay money. And how in the world will you manage that, making only $500 a week? See, these are things you should have thought about before dropping out of high school.

4 0 Reply

Sep 26 #1039624

My husband makes almost $900 a week. But never gets to see me. We barely see reach other 2x a month. Ya work for Kirby only if you don't want to have a family or you will never have family time. My husband works 17 hours a day and usually goes way out of town or state for weeks at a time. And has maybe 2 Sundays a month off.. He hates it!! But he is only doing it so he can open his own office. Then he can make his own schedule and he will not be like must Kirby distributers that work there employees to death. No, he will make sure they have family time... All most all Kirby distributers are terrible jerks who only care about making money and won't allow their employees to see their family. Kirby is a slave job.

Jul 31 #1014017 Colorado Springs, Colorado

I work for kirby, i make bank this *** was obviously not sellin *** and not doing her "15" demos, shes just lazy and dont want to work. Kirby is a "Real" job, just not for lazy ***. Everyone on here just sold out, so now all they have to do is ***.

1 11 Reply

Jul 31 #1014076 Colorado Springs, Colorado

Nice try, but hardly believable. You don't make sh*t and you know it! Go back to school! Get your GED! Kinda cute the way you are so protective and defensive about your loser "job"! I would bet you are are use to a life filled with desperation and disappointment. Again, GET YOUR GED. After that, get some viable job training so you can find gainful employment! You should strive for better than just being a diarrhea stain on the underwear of life.

11 1 Reply

Jul 24 #1011378

I just got hired on in the Great Lakes division by a dealing office just north of Cincinnati. I was promised a base pay of $450 per week, or commission if commission is greater than $450. Either way I was guaranteed a minimum of $450 every week. The way I figure; yeah it seems a little fishy, but $450 every week is OK with me. I'll show of a vacuum a few times a week for that.

Jul 27 #1012449

Base pay is a lie. I worked for what was the most profitable office in the world (possibly another lie, but upper and middle management certainly bought some toys from raking in the vacuum dough from us underlings.
They "hire" so much and have such a high turnover that they will tell you anything to get you to set appointments, do demos, and sell for them.
I 100% guarantee you they had you sign an independent dealer/canvasser agreement. This means they don't owe you ***. Not minimum wage for hours worked (and yes, if you have a slow week and sell nothing or set very few demos, they will pay you far less than minimum for your work.)
Here's how Kirby pay works (and this is one of the better systems)
It's all based around two things: a tiny base pay and commission from sales.
1. Commission. Only A-loan credit sales above a "bonusable" limit as set by your office will yield significant commission for you. This means selling a 3 grand finance deal from a customer with poor or mediocre credit earns you basically nothing. So let's talk about A-loans. These are nice, respectable folk with dual income households or well-off professionals. (Rich folks will see through your scam and gouge you down in price until it is not bonusable) This is why they target nice family neighborhoods, and also why you run the risk of being put in jail for solicitation simply by "working" for a Kirby office in the field. Back to money- basically, if you sell a nice A-loan deal (cash check
... Show more

7 0 Reply

Jun 27 #1000315 Conroe, Texas

Question!!! I recently got hired as an appointment setter for a Kirby distribution company. The person that hired me PROMISED ,& GUARANTEED me $5,000 per month... She said it didn't matter how many appointments I set up ,or how many of those appointments resulted in a sale, I would be GUARANTEED that base pay... I had no opinion on this company either way, I just would like to know what I'm getting myself into, since I have seen mostly horrible reviews researching this job/company.

0 8 Reply

Jul 05 #1003866

5k a month just to knock on doors and try to get the Kirby salesperson inside and it doesn't matter how many appts you get? You honestly think that is true? Tell you what, ask for that in writing. Just don't be surprised when you don't hear from anyone else again.

6 1 Reply

Aug 29 #1027180

appointments do matter. I wouldn't be talking if you don't know your facts about Kirby. I am an individual consumer who works for Kirby. 5k a month at Kirby is someone who has worked their *** off to make that much money. Commission goes up everytime you sell a vacuum. You get paid more if you can make payments within the months. You already have a down payment. We already have a new worker who is 24 and has been here for 3 week and made $1180 this week. Now if you need the writing and paper work in front of your face. Reply back with an email and I'll send you the information you're demanding to see. Hope you know you're false claiming. And sorry if you had a bad experience or experienced a bad salesman, but that's not how easy it is to make 5k a month with Kirby.

1 1 Reply

Aug 30 #1027196

I want proof that commission is supposed to go up! I have been working for Kirby 10 yrs and commission is still the exact same. But I have been getting ripped constantly by my distributer he lies about bonuses and all kinds of ***. If you know something I don't please share it with me. Thanks

0 0

Aug 30 #1027273

You are so full of sh*t! Thanks for the morning chuckle.

3 1

Aug 30 #1027299

People who brag about how much they make are generally the ones that are uneducated and unemployed. How easy to claim you make X dollars a month but that is just your fantasy. Your reality is that you still freeload off your parents, who are sick of you and want you to get off the computer and get a freakin' job already!

5 1

Aug 29 #1027179

I just want you to know that their is no such thing as $5,000 a month. If you have been currently working there and you moved up, then you can make up to that amount. The base pay is $450. It's a 10.99 system. No taxes until the end of the year. That's when you pay, so you won't have any tax returns. Make sure it's a real company before joining and ask to know a little more info. If you have never sold in your whole life, they train you to get that amount of money. Never handed. You need to understand the product. Nothing cheap is good and nothing good is cheap. I'd learn more before you continue on. Because I work for Kirby and it's fantastic. You just need to do 15 demos a week. If you're not going to do the job they pay you for, they aren't going to want to pay you.

Aug 30 #1027199

Been with Kirby 10yrs there is no base pay, only commission. No sales no paychek that's how its always been. It's a very hard job indeed. But if you can sale, then you can make bank otherwise your working your butt off for free.. I would like to know if my distributer is lying and if he is allowed to take back bonuses after I have met the goal. I believe me and my crew are being treated unfairly.

Jun 07 #992254 Jacksonville, Florida

I have been with Kirby for about a month, This company itself is a great company, with a great product!!! That being said beware of what dist, you work for I happen to be at a crappie one that thinks bullies should be rewarded!! I have made sales and have work 84 hours a week! Was told Monday thru Saturday, but that was a lie because it is Sunday and I was told we were going to make sales call this evening! That is the only reason I am quitting this job, not because of Kirby but because the dealer is A LAIR!! I would love to still to work here and I have made good money, because I know how to close sales and do not mind hard work! But I can not work for a Lair, he has also cussed me in front of customers which is very rude and not business like. I have closed 55 sales in a month have never missed a day until now!! My advise is to check out your dealer not Kirby,inc! Not all dealer are the same!I am sorry I have to leave but bad business practices id bad business in this market!!

4 0 Reply

Jun 07 #992288 Raleigh, North Carolina

I think the word you were going for is "Liar" (not Lair). If you are working 84 hours a week, that is the same as working TWO full-time jobs, yet, if you are honest, you will have to admit you don't even make as much as a high school student working one part-time job. Here is food for thought: you are an independent contractor (1099) yet Kirby is telling you your hours and days you have to work. Did you know that violates most state laws for independent contractors? Did you also know people have reported Kirby dealers to labor boards and forced them to pay them an hourly wage for all back hours worked!

9 0 Reply

May 24 #988064

Um... Why is there so much poor grammar and spelling? Just some quick info. It is a contract job. Not an hourly or salary position. Kirby's are sold primarily through individual distributors. In other words, John by 5 Kirby systems from Kirby at retail price and then sells them for a profit. For the salespeople, the price of the sale determines how much they get paid. If the sale is so low that the distributor makes no money on it, the salesperson isn't going to make money on it. That's the nature of the business. Also, the salesperson doesn't get credit for the sale unless it's done in the home. If you go to the store to buy one directly, the salesperson doesn't get the credit and doesn't get paid. The difference between a high pressure sale's pitch and the low pressure sales pitch is that the low pressure sales pitch can be turned off with your t.v. remote. Billy Mays isn't in your home hawking Oxyclean at you. A Kirby salesperson is.

1 1 Reply

May 15 #984896 Colorado Springs, Colorado

Ok so ive been reading all these negative comments about kirby. Im 24 years old ive been with kirby for a year so far. I just did my taxes as a 1099 employee and that was fun. But my overall net pay for the year was 38,000 i had to pay a bit for taxes. I managed to save up just under 5000 and bought my first vehicle and my own apartment. Everyone i see here worked with the company for a few weeks and judged the company cause they didnt have what it takes. Sure people go without getting paid and boast about all this money they made befor. Kirby is a today business and you need to have a positive attitude and high work ethic to succeed. Its about what you can do as a individual in a team. I have watched people come and go and feel lied to cause they didnt make it. Ive heard of distributors screwing over there people. The one thing i know is at the end of the week i get my check and cash it. My distributor trained me and groomed me into the sales man i am today. Ive went to three all expense paid vacations, Vegas was the best. But thru and thru the people who suck spred negative feedback. We dont lie to people at the door. I tell them simply we are going to show them a product. They dont have to buy it we simply want to show them cause we have a quota to fulfill. When someone whats the kirby we make it affordable. If they can afford 3295 then thats the price they get. If it needs to fit in there budget we will fit it in. We help elavate peoples heath in there home and we work... Show more

4 8 Reply

1-20 of 225 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.