Kirby Vacuum is a huge employment scam

182 of 199 Kirby Reviews

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week.I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the crappy half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely.I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

More Review Details

Had the same issue 124 Yes 124
182 of 199 Kirby Reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

1 day ago #1070452

My husband works for Kirby was making between $1100-$3800 a week as a dealer he just got promoted to DT (distributer trainee) and we got our own office he made me the co-owner and now he is making bank.. Example he made $1700 in one day now that he is his own boss, there will be days he will make twice that in one day. Now add that up everyday and he will make over $100k+ a year. Then when he becomes Factory it will be triple that. I know 2ppl that work for Kirby that are now millionaires!... Work for Kirby it's the best way to make alot of money and to live a fulfilling life!! If you just started and it's been over a week and you hadn't made a sale, don't give up!! My husband didn't make a sale for the first 3 weeks that he started. Once he made his first sale he was selling left and right. After your first sale you will be more motivated and have built confidence and you will start making more money than you can imagine. Kirby works if you work it!!!

1 2 Reply

19 hours ago #1070645

Cut out the doucheb@g owners, like the one above, by going into business for yourself. Buy your own Kirbys wholesale or via ebay, and sell them door to door. All profits will go in your pocket and you can cut out the sh*tstain owners who make money off your blood, sweat and tears.

1 1 Reply

6 hours ago #1070917

If you buy them off eBay or anywhere else in the world that is not from a door to door salesman that gets them from factory distributers only then you will not get a lifetime warranty or any benefits whatsoever. I am a distributor and I make 100% profit. I would never sale anything to my customers that didn't come straight from the factory because that would be screwing them over because they wouldn't have the wonderful benefits... Everyone do not buy a Kirby from a door to door salesman that does not have contracts or credentials you will not get benefits and if 20 yrs from now you needed it rebuilt you can't you would have to spend thousands of dollars to get a new one instead of a lousy $165 that comes with the benefits!! Or if you wanted an upgrade on a Kirby do that the new one is super awesome and does way more than the older Kirby's. Still any older model Kirby kicks the butt out of any new Oreck, rainbow etc. Anything but a Kirby is a waste of money!

0 0 Reply

Nov 14 #1063814

I've been working for Kirby for two weeks and so far I made about 3 grand. It's hard work pulling100 demo pads and seeing the nasty *** people sleep in or live with. But ultimately when you get used to the sells pitch and people start seeing what the Kirby does the 2000 dollar vacuum pays for its self when it gets past down from family to family with a lifetime warranty.

1 8 Reply

Nov 12 #1062665

You are weak son, Kirby isn't for the weak who do not want to grow some balls.

0 7 Reply

Nov 12 #1062663 Princeton Junction, New Jersey

I am a doctor and a former Kirby salesman. I 100% believe I was able to become a doctor because of vicious 5 hr demonstration/closing with no sale, 14 hr day with no pay, weeks with no sales/no money. This job is not for the faint. If you want to grow some balls, this job will do that for you. This job will make grown men cry, but can make the weakest little boy into a real man.
I am proud of my Kirby sales background, and to this day I let people know. If I lost my medical license for some *** reason, I'd be okay 'cause I know how to do demos and close sales, lol.
Anyways, if you want a real Man's job, do Kirby. If you're a loser and want to become a winner, do Kirby. BTW, this all applies if you are a woman as well. Some of the BEST salesman I knew are all saleswomen. Go sell some Kirbys.

2 7 Reply

Nov 21 #1067549

LMAO! You do not have a medical license to lose! Look how poorly you have put together a rebuttal! You are a joke! You probably failed 8th grade twice before finally quitting and throwing in the towel. OMG! Your posting made me literally laugh out loud. Too funny! Now, you need to quit playing on the internet, get out there in your broke-down van and go beg door to door and sell some vacuums!

3 0 Reply
Mr. Showtime

Oct 23 #1052905

Sorry to hear about your rough experience with Kirby. Most people see $2000 a month and go "Hey I want $2000/month, I think I will apply." YES, training is not paid. And YES the prices are meant to make the dealer and the distributor $$, but evrey business does the same thing. Alot of people say its a scam. Well folks, your wrong. Dead wrong. I make thousands $$$$ a month not including my salary of about $2k!! How?? Because I put in the work. I work hard. I didnt give up In the begining when I was starting to get cold feet bc like all of you i had my doubts. But then i went out and just followed the instructions of my mangager, and showed several customers that their $500 vacuum could not mach up against a kirby.
Funny story, once I saw a comment of how some guys $80 vacuum cleaned just as well as any kirby. I had to LOL. Thats we we take your vacuum, vacuum your carpet, then goover it just for a sec with a kirby and pull mounds of dirt and filth out of the carpet that YOUR vacuum was SUPPOSED to pick up. If your vacuum is doing such a great job why is the kirby still picking up dirt? I mean honestly people, do you want to vacuum up all the dirt, or only 1/2? Its that easy. Some sales people try to hard and are too pushy. We are trained to do whatever we can to get you that vacuum. Its the Cadillac of vacuums they are not cheap, but they are definitely worth it and they last a lifetime. I gurantee you that your vaccum cleans only whats close to the surface and leaves
... Show more

4 5 Reply

Nov 11 #1062389

My mom bought a Kirby almost thirty years ago. Now it belongs to me. Seems like that money she put down years ago was a very good investment since we've never bought another vacuum or shampooer since.

2 5 Reply

15 hours ago #1070708

I find it hilarious that Kirby sales *** try to shame people into buying a Kirby, by pointing out how dirty their house is. The sales slobs themselves don't own a freakin; Kirby, they can't afford it!

1 0 Reply

6 hours ago #1070919

Why do you lie? I work for them and I own 2 Kirbys. Your just jealous. We don't just point out how dirty their house is! The dirt in ppls homes causes health problems, Kirby is endorsed by the American heart and lung association and for a fact improves your overall health.

0 0 Reply

Sep 26 #1039582

This same thing happened to me. I haven't attend orientation yet. Looking at this changed my mind. Thank you.

5 3 Reply

Sep 15 #1034271

I actually work for kirby and get paid every Saturday over 500 dollars and I'm currently still at work I love it great money. Work for kirby!!

6 7 Reply

Sep 16 #1034393 Boston, Massachusetts

I don't doubt if you work for Kirby, you are still at work! It is hysterical you think making $500 a week after working 60+ hours is good money. LMAO! Even if you worked 40 hours a week, $500 is nothing. Don''t spend all your money in one place, sunshine, because come tax time, you owe Uncle Sam a big chunk. That's right! While your friends are getting nice refunds, you will be the dumb *** who has to pay money. And how in the world will you manage that, making only $500 a week? See, these are things you should have thought about before dropping out of high school.

9 2 Reply
Mr. Showtime

Oct 23 #1052912 Great Falls, Montana

Lets do the math here.. $2000/month base pay at 48 presentations a moth or 12/week. Lets say im selling the vacuum for $2295 mmmmk. And lets say i make most of my sales around $1900-$2000 a vacuum. Now lets say in 1 month I sell 4 vacuums. Well thats $4000.00 strait in to my pocket because our cost was maybe $1295.00 Now i add that to a base salary of $2000 what do you get? Oh thats right, $6,000.00/ month. Oh and FYI, 4 vacuums in one month is a walk in the park for me and im still in my first year. Yes, this job requires a I-9 independent contractor. Keep lots receipts and keep your paper work filed and u will be fine.

3 4 Reply

Sep 26 #1039624

My husband makes almost $900 a week. But never gets to see me. We barely see reach other 2x a month. Ya work for Kirby only if you don't want to have a family or you will never have family time. My husband works 17 hours a day and usually goes way out of town or state for weeks at a time. And has maybe 2 Sundays a month off.. He hates it!! But he is only doing it so he can open his own office. Then he can make his own schedule and he will not be like must Kirby distributers that work there employees to death. No, he will make sure they have family time... All most all Kirby distributers are terrible jerks who only care about making money and won't allow their employees to see their family. Kirby is a slave job.

7 1 Reply

Jul 31 #1014017 Colorado Springs, Colorado

I work for kirby, i make bank this *** was obviously not sellin *** and not doing her "15" demos, shes just lazy and dont want to work. Kirby is a "Real" job, just not for lazy ***. Everyone on here just sold out, so now all they have to do is ***.

4 17 Reply

Jul 31 #1014076 Colorado Springs, Colorado

Nice try, but hardly believable. You don't make sh*t and you know it! Go back to school! Get your GED! Kinda cute the way you are so protective and defensive about your loser "job"! I would bet you are are use to a life filled with desperation and disappointment. Again, GET YOUR GED. After that, get some viable job training so you can find gainful employment! You should strive for better than just being a diarrhea stain on the underwear of life.

14 2 Reply

Nov 20 #1066797

Hi i have my highschool diploma and a bachelors degree in mathematics and my teaching credentials jobs are tough to come by ive been with kirby for 2 months never made less then a thousand per week it is a job obviously obe you couldnt haddle so please pick up your purse and shut the **** up

1 3 Reply

Nov 21 #1067447

You can't even properly put a sentence together! You have no degree, you have no teaching credentials and you have no high school diploma! Please review your posting! You can't even spell "high school"! You can't even spell the words "one" and "handle". Even someone with a 4th grade education can spell those simple words! Was 3rd grade your senior year? Your posting is one long, run-on sentence because you don't know to use punctuation. No wonder you have to beg door to door! You can't get any other job! Now, pick up your self-esteem off the floor and get your G.E.D. Go learn a trade and GET A REAL D@MN JOB!

3 1

1-20 of 243 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.