Kirby Vacuum is a huge employment scam

97 of 113 Kirby Reviews
Sep 08, 2010
review #197608

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week.I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the crappy half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely.I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

6539286
1.5
Had an experience with Kirby?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
CT

1 day ago

Well I diss agree I work for Kirby and I've been working for the past two years and I yes I do make over 5000 a month Kirby has been the best thing that's ever happen to me and I hope many others get to experince

HAPPY

2 days ago

I have worked for Kirby on and off in different places I always got paid. We always where given proper paperwork stating how the pay worked, do 15 demos get 500.00 Dollars you dont do it you only get commission. Simply simple. Long hours true indeed but I was told that also before hand.

Coral

Jul 16 Bremerton, Washington

Exactly the same experience here, except the manager was a single mom with an e-cig and a tattoo. $35k a year sounded great compared to only $14k working as full time minimum wage, but then I realized working 12 hours a day 6 days a week... that's 72 hours a week, and the pay isn't even guaranteed. Nice try, Kirby.

Craig h

Jul 12

You sad *** ! I'm 27 and just bought my first Ferrari through I don't even have qualifications ! Left school with nothing got told I'd never have anything ? This is crazy how people can even talk like this or be miss led by other people who are not even in the business. I feel sorry for anyone that talks bad about a 100 year old company that's made me very successful and says get a real job this is real my life is living a dream now everyday. It's unfortunate people try and spoil it for anyone your too busy thinking it's scam, the difference between me i just didn't listen I made my own mind up and decided to give it chance, I'm glad i did. Best advice i could give anyone is give it chance not just Kirby in general you need more trust in your selfs to be able to try something like Kirby and decide then if it's not for you ! And I don't just mean a day or two or a week or 2 a mean 3 solid months it doesn't happen over night and won't ever it's takes development ! Rome wasn't built in a day guys. I think you nay Sayers need to get a check up from the neck up and have a develope abit more perservierance in life and stickabability and stop worry about this and that and the what if's ? Because you won't get anywhere in life with that type of attitude not just in employment. Take care have a super positive day ! And I wish you all the best of success

0 2 Reply

Jul 18

So Matchbox makes a toy Ferrari now? Awesome! LMAO! You sad, pathetic little twerp, do you really think anyone believes you? Kirby slaves can't even afford the dollar menu at McDonalds. Put down the Kirby koolaid and get a REAL job (that is, if you have the skills and education to do anything else besides slop vacuum cleaners door to door). Thanks for the morning chuckle!

nightmare

Jun 20 Conroe, Texas

I worked for Kirby and was great at it and in one week I sold two of the vaccums but never got paid for it these people are predators and all the while im making the drive to this warehouse I had no gas money told them I would have to get paid something or quit and they informed me when I was supposed to pick up my check that my sales had been conveniently "returned" these people are dishonest and they prey on young people who are desperate for work and the greed they demonstrate is uncanny

Jul 18

I have heard that consistently: people not getting paid for sales, being told that the customers returned the vacuums and then when the employee calls the customer, they find out that they did NOT return the product. What a ripoff.

salesgirl1

Jun 06 Topeka, Kansas

I worked for Kirby for over five years and made great money. It's not for everyone but if you are looking for a great sales job with the potential to make big bucks, then you should try it. Just like every job out their, it's not for everyone but don't call it a scam because you are too lazy to get up and work. Now days people want a great pay check but don't want to work for it. If that's the case, go work at McDonald's because they are okay with you working for minimum wage for minimum work.

0 1 Reply

Jul 18

If McDonalds is OK paying someone minimum wage, well sweetheart, then people are better off at McDonalds because Kirby can't even do that much!!!!
If not falling for a scam like Kirby makes someone lazy, I am proud to be counted as lazy. Call me Queen Lazy then, because I have more respect for myself than to go troll neighborhoods and try to barter my way into a stranger's home to sell them a freakin' appliance.
Interesting that salesgirlie1 used McDonalds in her analogy. I am going to guess that Kirby door to door troll sales or slinging hash at McDonalds are her only career choices. Take my advice salesgirlie, you are better off at McDonalds (that is, if they will hire you). You will have an hourly wage, benefits, a set schedule, a guaranteed paycheck and you aren't out in the elements. You also aren't trolling people. At McDonalds, customers are happy to see you step up to the counter. With Kirby, these homeowners are not happy to see you stepping up to their doorsteps.
My advice: finish your high school education. In other words, get your G.E.D and try to go to a community college or some type of trade school and get an education so you won't have to make the sad choice between Kirby or McDonalds anymore. Bottom line: you have to want more for yourself!

Workedforme

2 days ago

I have a Master degree in business and have worked for Kirby for ten years .

wasting time

Jun 04 Santa Clara, California

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS REVIEW! IT SAVED ME TIME NOT TO CONTINUE THIS SCAM JOB!!
I came across a craigslist ad and got an interview as well. I felt like my experiences and qualities were strong and I am a good candidate for jobs i applied to, but it took them only 2 hours to call me back and tell me that I got the job. In my opinion that is a little short on time for consideration of a future employee. After visiting the "company office" I tried to further my research on the company and found nothing on "One Team International INC" everything was really fishy. I don't believe in door to door advertisement is a safe and/or sustainable method for sales.

Jul 18

Agreed. And I have to question the mental stability of A. people who allow random strangers into their homes and B. people willing to enter a random stranger's home

Truth

Jun 02 Decatur, Georgia

Kirby is a horrible company to work for!! Not only do they not pay you what they owe you, but they also don't tell you everything upfront! I quit after my two sales managers stole a car while all of us were in the van waiting to go home! I had never seen anything like that happen in my life! Kirby was the WORST job I've ever had!! Don't work for them or buy anything from Kirby!! It's a horrible company!

Apr 26

Haha I work at Kirby, I am 18 and in high school. I made 3500 last month. My next check will be for over 1500 (this is in 1 week). It is not a scam, it's like any other sales job, you make comission.

1 5 Reply
hate this place

Apr 04 Asheville, North Carolina

I tried holding out after I didn't get paid because I hate to quit, but after 6 weeks I had enough. We all piled up in the van and drove 2 hours out of state to sale and were out for about 10 hours when we hadn't even had a chance to eat. I made them stop at a cvs because I felt my blood sugar dropping and as I was walking down an isle, I passed out. I fell and hit my head on the cement floor. When I came out of the haze there were EMTs there. The emt flipped out on my lead man. They said they had to leave to get to there sales appointments and Id have to wait until they were done because we were 2 hours away from home. So they expected me to wait in the van while they tried to sale vacuums. The emt asked my lead man for the number to his boss or headquarters and he called to explain what happened. He told the supervisor that I had a potential lawsuit and he suggested that they find a way for me not to have to wait for all the sales calls. The supervisor called a rental car company and the leadman dropped me off there. They paid for it and bought a travel debit card for me to get food on the way home. Turned out that 3 other people in the van decided that they were a pathetic employer as well, so they got out of the van and rode back with me. We stopped to eat on the company's card. The boss met us at headquarters and apologized for the "misunderstanding." Like it is a misunderstanding that we were basically held against our will and not allowed to eat until we finished our... Show more

4 0 Reply
Jo

Mar 14

People are saying these pro Kirby people can't spell.
#1 probably on an i phone like me and don't care when its wrong
#2 they people aren't good at math or spelling, that's why they sell vacuums. Cuz they good at selling 'cuums, not spell or númeróś :)

Judge Judy

Feb 19

I have worked for Kirby for over 5 months. I am canvasser and I get paid very well. The job isn't fit for everyone but if you are willing to put in the work then you will be rewarded with a fat check. If you actually go in every day and do what you have to do then you will make money but if you go in and expect to be paid for not doing anything then you should get a job at McDonald's. Its a commission job. You work, you get paid. You don't work you don't get paid. Simple as that.

2 0 Reply
Austin

Jan 27

Kirby is a total scam they never payed me most of all the boss didn't care he woundnt
Pay anyone I felt sorry for the people who worked there just to get money for there
Family's kids and friends and to be successfull but let me tell u Kirby isn't the place
To start Kirby is a very fishy,The boss walked right passed me I said hello
He didn't reply is was just like wow. Let tell u this place is very small they don't have
Respect,they will hire u in 4 seconds because there so hungry for coustumers

Tammy

Jan 27

Wow this is scam my husband worked there and he never got payed.
What a waiste of gas I also reambered that when I was little Kirby came to our house
And asked if they can take a look at our carpets the next 5 hours later
They were begging us and lowering down the price just to buy a 5,000 vacum
What a ripoff we told them no so many times and the boss looked mad
Me and my brother were just like wow.

total scam

Dec 26, 2013 Revere, Massachusetts

Total scam...you can potentially work 50 hours a week an not make a dime.
They tell you nothing up front... they show u a bunch of $ 2-3000 dollar paycheck. An have people suspiciously pop into meetings an coincidently say how rich they are.
Ive worked there for three weeks an didnt bring home a penny.

Showing 1-20 of 151 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Kirby.
Filing a new complaint about
×