Oakland Gardens, New York
21.2K views

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week.I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the crappy half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely.I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

Had an Experience with Kirby?

Comments

Kirby salespeople have no time for the weak.

Everything is your choice.

to Anonymous #1375082

LMAO!I have no time for Kirby and the homeless looking door knockers.

I ask for their solicitor's permit and very much enjoy the look of panic on their faces.

These id*ots know not to bother knocking on my door anymore.I call the police on them in a second and watch them being chased out of the neighborhood by the cops.

There are two things that are definitely true when speaking of Kirby.1)If you put the time and effort in, you will make a great living.

2)It truly is an amazing product. My grandparents still have the first and only kirby they ever bought and it workd better than anything ive ever owned. However, no one can deny that Kirby distributors lure people in under false pretenses-this refers to employees and customers alike. When you read the add, you are told that you are guaranteed a base salary of x amount of dollars regardless of your sales.

Its only after youve gone through the process that you find out about the 40 show requirement and you are definitely not told how damned hard it is to get those shows. During my short time selling these things I had doors slammed in my face, dogs let off leashes, and in one horrifying situation, a gun pulled out and waved around in front of me. That being said, I actually am pretty good at sales. It is currently a very large part of my job, and I do very well for myself.

However, when I sell my clients a product, I am selling it honestly. There is absolutely no veil when you work with me. Walking door to door with Kirby, however, definitely relies on deceit. you can talk all day long about how you make friends and clean peoples houses, but what your doing is lying to them.

you ring their doorbell and tell them that youre doing free carpet cleaning and would like to arrange for a time to come back and do it....

That there, it does that. Oh, by the way, let me show you 200 pieces of paper with dirt on them to show you how dirty your house really is. And while im at it, let me just start to walk in the direction I think the bedroom is and invade your privacy.

My point is that while its a great product, and people do make money, they only do so at the expense of others.

to Anonymous Los Angeles, California, United States #1325277

It's 60 shows a month, 15 per week to earn that mythical base pay.People I know who have sold Kirby for years say the owner will always find a reason not to pay it.

If by some miracle a person did get it, it would be the first and last time.An owner is not going to keep paying someone who doesn't sell the product.

I have been with Kirby over 40 years.Before I meet her my wife (RIP) worked as a single mother for Kirby & did quite well.

Yes it is hard work at first but it is no scam. Those that get recruited & don.t make it are usually too lazy to put in the effort & not give it 100%. I have raised three children, put them through private schools & college. I have bought & paid for 3 houses over the years (one was 3 blocks from the governors mansion).

I'm semi retired now running a Kirby service shop (out of choice not necessity. I could easily retire completely).

It is true that there are some bad apples in Kirby as there is in any other business. But I have known many, many more who are honest business men.

Those of you who call it a scam probably didn't even give a 30 day try & I am using the word "try" loosely

As far as the price of a Kirby is concerned, Yes it is a big investment.

But it out cleans anything else on the market & always have. And converts to over half a dozen other cleaning appliances. And it is not unusual for a customer bring in a 30, 40 or even occasionally a 50 year old Kirby for what is normally a very minor repair.

(By the way just out of curiosity & a little trivia do you know what Oprah Winfrey's first paying job was?

You guess it, it was with Kirby & you will never hear her say anything bad about it. She has even talked about it on her show & gives that experience credit for helping her to...

OH & by the way I know several successful Kirby people who used their success in Kirby to finance there dream businesses, including a major auto dealership, art gallery, restaurant (that has become a major national franchise), lady who worked for me for several years put herself through nursing school. & another gentleman put himself through law school & became a prosecuting attorney.

Sorry for rambling on but just get sick of the whiners who didn't have drive to make a great opportunity work for them.

to Anonymous Toronto, Ontario, Canada #1236058

I have a question: Have you written any other short stories and how long have you been writing fiction?

to Anonymous Wilmington, Delaware, United States #1321064

I know right cus Vaughn colter still owes me money from a sale I got for him!!!

These Kirby people are liars and the sad thing is, the vacuum rocks, but the salesmen suck.

to Anonymous #1241270

Yesssss!!!! It I'm jus starting it's ruff but I've moved up to DPS in 3 weeks!!!! I you gotta hustle

Houston, Texas, United States #1228133

Can someone close this thread? People are giving legitimate good and bad comments, yet the negative ones are flaming the pros of the job hard.

To be brief.

Yalls some salty peeps.

to Anonymous #1228566

Sounds like you are scared about the truth being exposed! May I suggest you simply don't read it anymore. Pretty simple fix, don't you think!