24.6K views
Resolved

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week. I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the *** half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely. I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

Location: Oakland Gardens, New York

Comments

@PissedConsumer1235491

I love stories! I know you’re a liar about Oprah.

I’m sure she will be entertained by the lie. Also most of these shady Kirby dealerships shut down shortly after they open. The only way to get ahead and be successful is to get a real job and hustle.

I suggest you write stories. You’re great at it.

Can someone close this thread? People are giving legitimate good and bad comments, yet the negative ones are flaming the pros of the job hard.

To be brief.

Yalls some salty peeps.

@PissedConsumer1228133

Sounds like you are scared about the truth being exposed! May I suggest you simply don't read it anymore. Pretty simple fix, don't you think!

@PissedConsumer1228133

Close the thread? This isn't reddit, you dumb@***s!

@PissedConsumer1228133

No you are probably as shady as the rest!,I was there!,I did it! So be honest about what happens,dont lie to these people,I personally know what goes on and what happens.at one point we were going into people's home and giving them discounts to take other vacuums out of their homes( like Dyson etc.) These people need to know the truth of how their scammed!!

@PissedConsumer1365282

And if your so proud of the company then next time give your name instead of being( anonymous )

@PissedConsumer1365282

I've never heard so many cry about having to do a little work. You all sound like Hillary Clinton

@PissedConsumer1369720

You would know! You seem like the uneducated type who voted for her!

#1203773

Like any other job. You put the time in, you reap the benefits.

I have been surrounded by the Top Distributors within Kirby my whole life. They make millions a year.

Touche

#1203906
@PissedConsumer1203773

1. I don't believe you, so put down the koolaid

2. I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "touche"

#1199972

I currently just started working for the Kirby Company but I can tell you, if you put in the work that you are held responsible to do, you will make money. Basically you get back what you put in.

It's also a pretty fun job and you get to make friends when you clean their houses for them. The Kirby machine is expensive but if you think about everything that comes with it, it's a good investment. It spins at 3200 RPMs, is made of steel and aluminum, used for shampooing, mopping, electric brooming, dusting, sprayer, etc. Think about how many times you have to replace your vacuums or other household objects.

Now wouldn't it be cheaper to invest in a machine that has a lifetime warranty & does all of those things? I didn't even like cleaning until I cleaned with a kirby for the first time.

#1201044
@PissedConsumer1199972

Come back in a couple weeks and tell us again about how fun your job is and how many friends you have made by lying to people to get in their homes.

@PissedConsumer1201044

Hey guys we can tell who the pro Kirby person is!!! The same liar that hires innocent young adults in need of money.

#1204346
@PissedConsumer1199972

You don't try Kirby, Kirby tries you. It's simple.

It's a copy cat business. Most people are too bullheaded to understand what's going on.

Hence why our office goes through multiple people a week but Im having no problem with the month I've been with them. We are Positive

#1204358
@PissedConsumer1204346

You are positive alright. Positively disgusting!

@PissedConsumer1199972

It’s not a lifetime warranty, dolt. It’s a three year limited warranty. I bet you believe that the engine was designed by NASA, don’t you?

@PissedConsumer1199972

I love how people keep saying the Kirby is a sprayer. It is not designed to do that. Keep drinking the kool aid and spreading the lies darlin’.

#1193311

We fill out W-9's, pay our taxes, and still have money to blow lol

#1201045
@PissedConsumer1193311

Yep, that $5 you have left over will pay for a few burgers from the McDonald's dollar menu. Eat up boy!

@PissedConsumer1193311