24.8K views
Resolved

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week. I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the *** half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely. I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

Location: Oakland Gardens, New York

Comments

@PissedConsumer1199972

It’s not a lifetime warranty, dolt. It’s a three year limited warranty. I bet you believe that the engine was designed by NASA, don’t you?

@PissedConsumer1199972

I love how people keep saying the Kirby is a sprayer. It is not designed to do that. Keep drinking the kool aid and spreading the lies darlin’.

#2008494

Not a lifetime warranty.

#2023895
@PissedConsumer2008494

Indeed. The warranty information is on the Kirby site.

Kirby themselves even has stated on a few of these postings that it is NOT a lifetime warranty.

It is something like 3 years and only covers a few specific issues. Apart from that, you are going to pay for repairs!

#2046443
@PissedConsumer1199972

There is NO lifetime warranty! Just call Kirby Corporate in Ohio and ask or check out the Kirby website. It tells you specifically there is no lifetime warranty!

#2050009

Not a lifetime warranty

#1193311

We fill out W-9's, pay our taxes, and still have money to blow lol

#1201045
@PissedConsumer1193311

Yep, that $5 you have left over will pay for a few burgers from the McDonald's dollar menu. Eat up boy!

@PissedConsumer1193311

It’s actually a 1099.

#1193306

I really hate reading stores like this because it makes me kind of sad. I felt the SAME exact way when I started.

I did my training...not like I was doing anything that week anyways...and still felt a little nervous. But after my first day out I was completely overwhelmed with joy. I am 21 years old and I average 4500-**** a month. I never dreamed of making money like this.

It was incredible. The reason the pay is set up this way is because if you show up everyday and do three appointments a day...then you are bound to sell. They base pay isn't a salary but a fall back just incase you have no sells but worked everyday. I think everyone that works for the Kirby company felt weary at first....because you're right...no one else will pay you the way you get paid with Kirby especially if you are young.

And the most positive thing is that they promote from within. By the time I am 23 I will have my own office. The kirby company has changed my life for the better so I just wanted to pass some positive news. THE KIRBY COMPANY IS NOT A SCAM.

It's designed to help the community by supplying more jobs (reasons they hire so many people) and we pay taxes to the community and we donate all trade ins to the community who can't afford a vacuum. We are happy and we are making money. It makes me sad to see people who didn't even give it a shot talk so negatively. Nothing against you personally..it's not for everyone.

But we are trying to run a business. -I don't work at this office but for a distributor in LA.

@PissedConsumer1193306

Unfortunately your story is hard to believe. Most people know better than to let a salesperson in their home.

Thus making it hard to get three showings. Also the managers always find a way to not pay you.

#2046447
@PissedConsumer1193306

They hire so many people because the turnover is outrageous once people realize what's really going on. The vacuums they take as trade-ins are SOLD for profit!

The salespeople at the company I work for make 30k base and then thousands monthly on commissions! They have an actual office with a company supplied computer and office supplies, secretarial help to come to when they aren't out selling; several of our salespeople are as young as 22.

I love all these people saying they make bank, funny how you all filled out a w-9 form because working under kirby ur an independent contractor meaning at the end of the year when im getting 5000+ back for my tax return you all will be owing 5000+.

That's funny....because I work for kirby and I'm making money just fine....

@PissedConsumer1077003

Is it guaranteed salary or commission only.

@PissedConsumer1083698

Commission only!!!!!

@PissedConsumer1089168

Yeah right! We have had two offices here where I live shut down because everybody slams the door in the faces of those crooks. Keep lying to make yourself look good.

@PissedConsumer1077003

are you really?

My husband has worked for kirby for the past 5 months. He works in greensboro, Nc.

I've never liked his hours hes been working. Dont get me wrong when he makes good sales he makes good money. Now the catch is hos manager Braddox has been either taking money out of his check saying he owes him or keeping his check untill my husband goes and gets all his pick ups, which are kirbys people have not paid on. We have bill's to pay and our newborn child.

When has worked so hard over 70 hours a week he deserves to be paid. My husband is now talking with a lawyer because of this bs. Braddox did not hold any one else's check regarding pick ups. When my husband only had 9, other people have over 15.

Also my husband is the only white guy. So this has to stop.

And for any one thinking about working for kirby DON'T. It is a bull *** company and a waste of time.

#1071962

Ok genius go buy some ground beef cut out McDonald's in sell ur own cheeseburgers. Ground up chicken make your own chicken nuggets.

Raid garbage cans pick up trash and sell it for a profit.

Become a vegetarian to conserve energy because it takes three times more energy to create and vegetables and it does meat. Your mind has no logic just a scam live in your crowded reality in and see where that gets you by the age of 50 hoping that your parents died so he can inherit some money pathetic *** of the earth praying on someone's death or someone's misfortune to prey on

Kirby Reviews