24.6K views
Resolved

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week. I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the *** half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely. I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

Location: Oakland Gardens, New York

Comments

@PissedConsumer1070917

While Kirby is a good vacuum, there are plenty more that are just as good if not better and cost way less! And with the other ones, you don't have to put up with annoying twits at your door, overstaying their welcome.

People, before you buy a Kirby, research all the problems with the credit company who finances them. Also, keep in mind if you buy the one they just demonstrated to you, you are buying a used vacuum that has been demonstrated in countless other homes. Also, never pay the full price.

You can hold your ground and get them down to $800. However, you are still better off buying one off ebay!

@PissedConsumer1070917

It is NOT a lifetime warranty!!!

@PissedConsumer1070917

THERE IS NO LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!! There is a limited 3 year warranty that cover a few things!!

If you don't believe me, search on Kirby, there are 289 letters posted as of right now, there is one from The Kirby Company, dated Nov. 7th, it's the 3rd or 4th one down and it states:

We apologize for any confusion surrounding how the Kirby Home Care System Warranty was described to you.

Your Kirby system has a 3-year limited warranty. Here’s a link that depicts what it covers:

AGAIN, this is from the Kirby Home Office that posted this.

Kirby themselves. So stop spreading lies that it's a lifetime warranty.

@PissedConsumer1070917

There is NO lifetime warranty!!! Any person who goes to Kirby.com and clicks on SUPPORT and then on Kirby Vacuum Warranty, will see for themselves, in black in white, that there is a THREE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY!!!

THREE YEARS! And with that 3 years, there are rules and stipulations! So people, when you see people on here claiming a lifetime warranty, just remember these are the same people, knocking at your door, trying to get in your home to sell you an overpriced vacuum. The poster above knows darn well there is no lifetime warranty, but he is morally bankrupt and ready to say anything to make a sale.

Do you really want to deal with a person like that?

Do you want to let them in your home? I don't.

@PissedConsumer1070917

Three year limited warranty and I own a Kirby. It sucks ***.

#1976216
@PissedConsumer1070917

You don’t get a lifetime warranty anyway numbnuts

@PissedConsumer1070452

Yeah. I bet your up for tax evasion too.

Everyone on here knows that you have to pay your own taxes.

So that’s quite a chunk of change if you truly make that much. I doubt you do and so does everyone else.

#1915736
@PissedConsumer1070452

You, my dear, are a liar and morally bankrupt.

I've been working for Kirby for two weeks and so far I made about 3 grand. It's hard work pulling100 demo pads and seeing the nasty *** people sleep in or live with. But ultimately when you get used to the sells pitch and people start seeing what the Kirby does the 2000 dollar vacuum pays for its self when it gets past down from family to family with a lifetime warranty.

@PissedConsumer1063814

What i couldn't get used to was knowingly lying to people about the kirby system. I have integrity, and i care about people too much to lie to them about the best price possible.

@PissedConsumer1083699

What's the price of a lifetime?

@PissedConsumer1241273

That comment doesn't even make sense! If you are trying to say there is a lifetime warranty, you are full of lies because it states on the Kirby website the warranty is for THREE YEARS only and that it is a limited warranty!

@PissedConsumer1063814

First off there is no way you made that much. Second it’s a three year limited warranty.

You are weak son, Kirby isn't for the weak who do not want to grow some balls.

I am a doctor and a former Kirby salesman. I 100% believe I was able to become a doctor because of vicious 5 hr demonstration/closing with no sale, 14 hr day with no pay, weeks with no sales/no money.

This job is not for the faint. If you want to grow some balls, this job will do that for you. This job will make grown men cry, but can make the weakest little boy into a real man.

I am proud of my Kirby sales background, and to this day I let people know. If I lost my medical license for some *** reason, I'd be okay 'cause I know how to do demos and close sales, lol.

Anyways, if you want a real Man's job, do Kirby.

If you're a loser and want to become a winner, do Kirby. BTW, this all applies if you are a woman as well.

Some of the BEST salesman I knew are all saleswomen. Go sell some Kirbys.

@PissedConsumer1062663

LMAO! You do not have a medical license to lose!

Look how poorly you have put together a rebuttal! You are a joke! You probably failed 8th grade twice before finally quitting and throwing in the towel. OMG!

Your posting made me literally laugh out loud.

Too funny! Now, you need to quit playing on the internet, get out there in your broke-down van and go beg door to door and sell some vacuums!

@PissedConsumer1062663

A real man doesn't need to lie to people to get in someones house. The kirby is bought by distributors at 600 dollars, then they get employees to try selling them at 2400.

The lowball is 990. Don't be fooled by this ***.

@PissedConsumer1062663

do you get paid for demo's even if you dont have a sell?

@PissedConsumer1089457

If you get 12 demos with no sales for the week you get $350, if you get 10 demos with 3 sales you get a $300 bonus on top of your commission, 4 sales 10 demos $400 bonus, 5 $500 etc... You can make bank if you do your job.

@PissedConsumer1089457

it's possible but very unlikely lol

Kirby Reviews