24.8K views
Resolved

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week. I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the *** half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely. I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

Location: Oakland Gardens, New York

Comments

@PissedConsumer1083699

What's the price of a lifetime?

@PissedConsumer1241273

That comment doesn't even make sense! If you are trying to say there is a lifetime warranty, you are full of lies because it states on the Kirby website the warranty is for THREE YEARS only and that it is a limited warranty!

@PissedConsumer1063814

First off there is no way you made that much. Second it’s a three year limited warranty.

You are weak son, Kirby isn't for the weak who do not want to grow some balls.

I am a doctor and a former Kirby salesman. I 100% believe I was able to become a doctor because of vicious 5 hr demonstration/closing with no sale, 14 hr day with no pay, weeks with no sales/no money.

This job is not for the faint. If you want to grow some balls, this job will do that for you. This job will make grown men cry, but can make the weakest little boy into a real man.

I am proud of my Kirby sales background, and to this day I let people know. If I lost my medical license for some *** reason, I'd be okay 'cause I know how to do demos and close sales, lol.

Anyways, if you want a real Man's job, do Kirby.

If you're a loser and want to become a winner, do Kirby. BTW, this all applies if you are a woman as well.

Some of the BEST salesman I knew are all saleswomen. Go sell some Kirbys.

@PissedConsumer1062663

LMAO! You do not have a medical license to lose!

Look how poorly you have put together a rebuttal! You are a joke! You probably failed 8th grade twice before finally quitting and throwing in the towel. OMG!

Your posting made me literally laugh out loud.

Too funny! Now, you need to quit playing on the internet, get out there in your broke-down van and go beg door to door and sell some vacuums!

@PissedConsumer1062663

A real man doesn't need to lie to people to get in someones house. The kirby is bought by distributors at 600 dollars, then they get employees to try selling them at 2400.

The lowball is 990. Don't be fooled by this ***.

@PissedConsumer1062663

do you get paid for demo's even if you dont have a sell?

@PissedConsumer1089457

If you get 12 demos with no sales for the week you get $350, if you get 10 demos with 3 sales you get a $300 bonus on top of your commission, 4 sales 10 demos $400 bonus, 5 $500 etc... You can make bank if you do your job.

@PissedConsumer1089457

it's possible but very unlikely lol

@PissedConsumer1089457

There will always be some lame excuse as to why your demos don't count...and then you don't get paid

Sorry to hear about your rough experience with Kirby. Most people see $2000 a month and go "Hey I want $2000/month, I think I will apply." YES, training is not paid.

And YES the prices are meant to make the dealer and the distributor $$, but evrey business does the same thing. Alot of people say its a scam. Well folks, your wrong. Dead wrong.

I make thousands $$$$ a month not including my salary of about $2k!! How?? Because I put in the work. I work hard.

I didnt give up In the begining when I was starting to get cold feet bc like all of you i had my doubts. But then i went out and just followed the instructions of my mangager, and showed several customers that their $500 vacuum could not mach up against a kirby.

Funny story, once I saw a comment of how some guys $80 vacuum cleaned just as well as any kirby. I had to LOL.

Thats we we take your vacuum, vacuum your carpet, then goover it just for a sec with a kirby and pull mounds of dirt and filth out of the carpet that YOUR vacuum was SUPPOSED to pick up. If your vacuum is doing such a great job why is the kirby still picking up dirt? I mean honestly people, do you want to vacuum up all the dirt, or only 1/2? Its that easy.

Some sales people try to hard and are too pushy. We are trained to do whatever we can to get you that vacuum. Its the Cadillac of vacuums they are not cheap, but they are definitely worth it and they last a lifetime. I gurantee you that your vaccum cleans only whats close to the surface and leaves dirt and grit, leaving most dirt in the carpet.

Trust me folks, its time to talk to a Kirby dealer. Keep and open mind and let somone change the way you clean forever.

@PissedConsumer1052905

My mom bought a Kirby almost thirty years ago. Now it belongs to me. Seems like that money she put down years ago was a very good investment since we've never bought another vacuum or shampooer since.

@PissedConsumer1052905

I find it hilarious that Kirby sales *** try to shame people into buying a Kirby, by pointing out how dirty their house is. The sales slobs themselves don't own a freakin; Kirby, they can't afford it!

@PissedConsumer1070708

Why do you lie? I work for them and I own 2 Kirbys.

Your just jealous.

We don't just point out how dirty their house is! The dirt in ppls homes causes health problems, Kirby is endorsed by the American heart and lung association and for a fact improves your overall health.

@PissedConsumer1070919

LMAO! Sweetie, I doubt you will find anyone jealous of your employment status with Kirby!!!

Personally, I feel sorry for you.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to go door to door and beg/harass people for commission.And if you have 2 Kirbys, I guess you need one as a backup for when the other breaks down. LOL!

@PissedConsumer1070919

American heart and lung association endorses Kirby? Yeah right!

I’ve owned a Kirby and it didn’t work very well. Nice try though.

@PissedConsumer1052905

I purchased a Bissell for $129.99, it gets the job done honey. At $129.99, I can buy a brand new one every 4-5 years and it still costs less than a Kirby.

I used to be a Kirby salesman, but it's not worth it at all!! There are sales that benefit, and Kirby isn't one of those sales period. Kirby doesn't benefit any customers much more than a Dyson or a Shark.

Also it's funny how people who say they're making bank at Kirby have to brag about it.

Kirby distributors would beg for people to work for them like they have to beg the customers to buy the vacuum. Fact is, if you're an excellent liar, a good ***-man with great sales skill, this is your job.

For your sake, if you went to an interview and he/she asks you had you heard of Kirby, walk out immediately, do not continue with the interview process. I quit because I felt like the time working for Kirby, I could've use it to work for somewhere else that pays just as good without lying to people like other people and me.

This same thing happened to me. I haven't attend orientation yet.

Looking at this changed my mind. Thank you.

I actually work for kirby and get paid every Saturday over 500 dollars and I'm currently still at work I love it great money. Work for kirby!!

Kirby Reviews