24.6K views
Resolved

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week. I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the *** half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely. I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job.

Location: Oakland Gardens, New York

Comments

@PissedConsumer1089457

There will always be some lame excuse as to why your demos don't count...and then you don't get paid

Sorry to hear about your rough experience with Kirby. Most people see $2000 a month and go "Hey I want $2000/month, I think I will apply." YES, training is not paid.

And YES the prices are meant to make the dealer and the distributor $$, but evrey business does the same thing. Alot of people say its a scam. Well folks, your wrong. Dead wrong.

I make thousands $$$$ a month not including my salary of about $2k!! How?? Because I put in the work. I work hard.

I didnt give up In the begining when I was starting to get cold feet bc like all of you i had my doubts. But then i went out and just followed the instructions of my mangager, and showed several customers that their $500 vacuum could not mach up against a kirby.

Funny story, once I saw a comment of how some guys $80 vacuum cleaned just as well as any kirby. I had to LOL.

Thats we we take your vacuum, vacuum your carpet, then goover it just for a sec with a kirby and pull mounds of dirt and filth out of the carpet that YOUR vacuum was SUPPOSED to pick up. If your vacuum is doing such a great job why is the kirby still picking up dirt? I mean honestly people, do you want to vacuum up all the dirt, or only 1/2? Its that easy.

Some sales people try to hard and are too pushy. We are trained to do whatever we can to get you that vacuum. Its the Cadillac of vacuums they are not cheap, but they are definitely worth it and they last a lifetime. I gurantee you that your vaccum cleans only whats close to the surface and leaves dirt and grit, leaving most dirt in the carpet.

Trust me folks, its time to talk to a Kirby dealer. Keep and open mind and let somone change the way you clean forever.

@PissedConsumer1052905

My mom bought a Kirby almost thirty years ago. Now it belongs to me. Seems like that money she put down years ago was a very good investment since we've never bought another vacuum or shampooer since.

@PissedConsumer1052905

I find it hilarious that Kirby sales *** try to shame people into buying a Kirby, by pointing out how dirty their house is. The sales slobs themselves don't own a freakin; Kirby, they can't afford it!

@PissedConsumer1070708

Why do you lie? I work for them and I own 2 Kirbys.

Your just jealous.

We don't just point out how dirty their house is! The dirt in ppls homes causes health problems, Kirby is endorsed by the American heart and lung association and for a fact improves your overall health.

@PissedConsumer1070919

LMAO! Sweetie, I doubt you will find anyone jealous of your employment status with Kirby!!!

Personally, I feel sorry for you.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to go door to door and beg/harass people for commission.And if you have 2 Kirbys, I guess you need one as a backup for when the other breaks down. LOL!

@PissedConsumer1070919

American heart and lung association endorses Kirby? Yeah right!

I’ve owned a Kirby and it didn’t work very well. Nice try though.

@PissedConsumer1052905

I purchased a Bissell for $129.99, it gets the job done honey. At $129.99, I can buy a brand new one every 4-5 years and it still costs less than a Kirby.

I used to be a Kirby salesman, but it's not worth it at all!! There are sales that benefit, and Kirby isn't one of those sales period. Kirby doesn't benefit any customers much more than a Dyson or a Shark.

Also it's funny how people who say they're making bank at Kirby have to brag about it.

Kirby distributors would beg for people to work for them like they have to beg the customers to buy the vacuum. Fact is, if you're an excellent liar, a good ***-man with great sales skill, this is your job.

For your sake, if you went to an interview and he/she asks you had you heard of Kirby, walk out immediately, do not continue with the interview process. I quit because I felt like the time working for Kirby, I could've use it to work for somewhere else that pays just as good without lying to people like other people and me.

This same thing happened to me. I haven't attend orientation yet.

Looking at this changed my mind. Thank you.

I actually work for kirby and get paid every Saturday over 500 dollars and I'm currently still at work I love it great money. Work for kirby!!

@PissedConsumer1034271

I don't doubt if you work for Kirby, you are still at work! It is hysterical you think making $500 a week after working 60+ hours is good money.

LMAO! Even if you worked 40 hours a week, $500 is nothing. Don''t spend all your money in one place, sunshine, because come tax time, you owe Uncle Sam a big chunk. That's right!

While your friends are getting nice refunds, you will be the dumb *** who has to pay money.

And how in the world will you manage that, making only $500 a week? See, these are things you should have thought about before dropping out of high school.

@PissedConsumer1034393

Lets do the math here.. $2000/month base pay at 48 presentations a moth or 12/week.

Lets say im selling the vacuum for $2295 mmmmk. And lets say i make most of my sales around $1900-$2000 a vacuum. Now lets say in 1 month I sell 4 vacuums. Well thats $4000.00 strait in to my pocket because our cost was maybe $1295.00 Now i add that to a base salary of $2000 what do you get?

Oh thats right, $6,000.00/ month. Oh and FYI, 4 vacuums in one month is a walk in the park for me and im still in my first year.

Yes, this job requires a I-9 independent contractor. Keep lots receipts and keep your paper work filed and u will be fine.

@PissedConsumer1052912

You are too funny! Keep telling more jokes!

@PissedConsumer1034271

My husband makes almost $900 a week. But never gets to see me.

We barely see reach other 2x a month. Ya work for Kirby only if you don't want to have a family or you will never have family time. My husband works 17 hours a day and usually goes way out of town or state for weeks at a time. And has maybe 2 Sundays a month off..

He hates it!! But he is only doing it so he can open his own office. Then he can make his own schedule and he will not be like must Kirby distributers that work there employees to death. No, he will make sure they have family time...

All most all Kirby distributers are terrible jerks who only care about making money and won't allow their employees to see their family. Kirby is a slave job.

I work for kirby, i make bank this *** was obviously not sellin *** and not doing her "15" demos, shes just lazy and dont want to work. Kirby is a "Real" job, just not for lazy ***. Everyone on here just sold out, so now all they have to do is ***.

@PissedConsumer1014017

Nice try, but hardly believable. You don't make *** and you know it!

Go back to school! Get your GED! Kinda cute the way you are so protective and defensive about your loser "job"! I would bet you are are use to a life filled with desperation and disappointment.

Again, GET YOUR GED.

After that, get some viable job training so you can find gainful employment! You should strive for better than just being a diarrhea stain on the underwear of life.

@PissedConsumer1014076

Hi i have my highschool diploma and a bachelors degree in mathematics and my teaching credentials jobs are tough to come by ive been with kirby for 2 months never made less then a thousand per week it is a job obviously obe you couldnt haddle so please pick up your purse and shut the **** up

@PissedConsumer1066797

You can't even properly put a sentence together! You have no degree, you have no teaching credentials and you have no high school diploma!

Please review your posting! You can't even spell "high school"! You can't even spell the words "one" and "handle". Even someone with a 4th grade education can spell those simple words!

Was 3rd grade your senior year? Your posting is one long, run-on sentence because you don't know to use punctuation. No wonder you have to beg door to door! You can't get any other job!

Now, pick up your self-esteem off the floor and get your G.E.D. Go learn a trade and GET A REAL D@***N JOB!

I just got hired on in the Great Lakes division by a dealing office just north of Cincinnati. I was promised a base pay of $450 per week, or commission if commission is greater than $450.

Either way I was guaranteed a minimum of $450 every week.

The way I figure; yeah it seems a little fishy, but $450 every week is OK with me. I'll show of a vacuum a few times a week for that.

@PissedConsumer1011378

Base pay is a lie. I worked for what was the most profitable office in the world (possibly another lie, but upper and middle management certainly bought some toys from raking in the vacuum dough from us underlings.

They "hire" so much and have such a high turnover that they will tell you anything to get you to set appointments, do demos, and sell for them.

I 100% guarantee you they had you sign an independent dealer/canvasser agreement. This means they don't owe you ***. Not minimum wage for hours worked (and yes, if you have a slow week and sell nothing or set very few demos, they will pay you far less than minimum for your work.)

Here's how Kirby pay works (and this is one of the better systems)

It's all based around two things: a tiny base pay and commission from sales.

1. Commission.

Only A-loan credit sales above a "bonusable" limit as set by your office will yield significant commission for you. This means selling a 3 grand finance deal from a customer with poor or mediocre credit earns you basically nothing. So let's talk about A-loans. These are nice, respectable folk with dual income households or well-off professionals.

(Rich folks will see through your scam and gouge you down in price until it is not bonusable) This is why they target nice family neighborhoods, and also why you run the risk of being put in jail for solicitation simply by "working" for a Kirby office in the field. Back to money- basically, if you sell a nice A-loan deal (cash check credit or finance), the office gets a nice little check that they divvy up, on average, as follows: $2500 finance deal (pretty average bonusable sale on an A-loan) $1200 - cost (this is falsified most likely, as they regularly hawk them for $500 cash and make money, though slight. So you can assume $700 goes right into the pockets of upper management (your distributor's car payment) $550 distributor pay (plus the $700 makes $1250) $550- team leader pay Which leaves $100 - canvasser pay $100 - dealer pay So I'm sure you can see the system is set up so that to receive any kind of paycheck, dealers and canvassers must slave away selling machines and knocking doors to earn a meager living, and ensure that the distributor, managers, and team leaders don't have to lift a finger. Pyramid scheme in action.

Also, that person is interested in hiring you because they get more money from your first sale than you do- that's why Craigslists everywhere are loaded with Kirby ads in disguise in all sections. They will tell you there are no signs because of licensing agreements, but in reality, they don't want the cops to bust down their door about -child labor -hiring felons -nonpayment of minimum wage -racketeering -solicitation I made good money selling Kirby machines when I needed a job, and it looks like a nice little sales job on my resume, but it's at best a pyramid scheme, at worst a criminal band of vacuum toting, tax evading, slave driving, chain smoking criminals.

Kirby Reviews